Please update your bookmarks and RSS feeds and head to epicuriousvegan.com.
Thanks for reading!


04 January 2010

Book Giveaway!

If you’ve been reading this blog for awhile, you probably have heard me talk about Gail Eisnitz and her book Slaughterhouse.
To read my review of it, click here.
It’s an incredibly powerful and moving expose on factory farms in the United States. Though it was written about ten years ago, unfortunately the conditions are still just as horrifying now. Eiznitz,Chief Investigor for the Humane Farming Association (HFA), spent countless hours communicating with USDA employees, speaking with slaughterhouse workers, and listening to families who have lost loved ones due to the shoddiness of the American Agri-business.
I’m not gonna lie; it’s a hard read. It’s emotional and draining and explicit. But it’s also incredibly informative, well-researched, and touching.
I was so touched, in fact, that I wrote to Gail and asked her if she’d be interested in donating a book or two for my blog.
She said yes.
If you’re not interested in reading this book, I don’t blame you. But if you do want to find out more, this book isn't just for vegetarians or animal rights activists. It's for anyone that cares about people, about animals, about being informed, about corporate greed, about health, and about compassion.
~~~~
To enter, please leave a comment below stating either:
1. Why you want to read the book; or
2. What you hope to get out of the book; or
3. Why you’re nervous about reading the book.
**The contest will last until Noon on January 13th.

9 comments:

Rachael said...

I feel like that would be a good book to read, because I'm very passionate about not eating meat, especially because of these farms. I think the book would be very educational for me and help me have a better argument against people who think I'm foolish, but I also think it would be very emotionally difficult for me to read.

birdfeed said...

I hope to get several things out of this book, but more than anything I hope for my coworkers at work to get the message that I try to spread every day. I'd be passing this book around to them all, of course.

kilax said...

I debated whether or not to enter this giveaway. I am nervous about the book because I have such a vivid imagination. I cannot stop thinking about the quote about the men searing off a pig's snout (what book was that from?) and rubbing salt on it.

However, as a vegan, I think it is an essential read.

The Spicy Vegan said...

Though I will never, ever go back to eating meat and therefore need no further convincing to be a vegan, I enjoy becoming more and more educated on the topic from health to the environment to the way we treat our animal friends. The more information I have, the more it becomes about something greater than just *me* and *my* choice. It's simply the right way to live. I'll happily take some more ammo from a respected source.
Thank you for putting together this giveaway!

Meg said...

Oh man! That book has been on my reading list since forever, I would love to finally read it.

Derek Neuland said...

I owned this book at one point but I unfortunately had to sell it in order to help out with bills before i had a chance to read it. I am vegan but I like to educate myself on all aspects of food production so i can help people make good decisions when they ask me for advice.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book yet, but would love to add it to my collection. I'm so passionate about veganism and about arming people with the best information I can to help them make an informed choice about their food options.

The Compassionate Hedonist said...

I wish I could get myy nonn vegan friends and family members to read this!

chand said...

I have been wanting to read this book for some time. I am also in the process of deciding to vegetarian or vegan. Trying to decipher what each will mean for me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails