Please update your bookmarks and RSS feeds and head to epicuriousvegan.com.
Thanks for reading!


27 August 2009

Vita Cafe Food Porn


The Vita Cafe has some kick-ass eats. Want some examples?

Mac and Cheese with tempeh:

Holy crap. Best vegan mac and cheese (other than *cough* my own) I've had. Big portion, excellently flavored "cheese", and big fat noodles. You can also get broccoli as an option, which I'd recommend.

What happens when the Aardvark Sauce lid isn't screwed on tightly:


Yikes! This looks like something The Spicy Vegan would like.

And I know the Vita has all this deep-fried, buffalo-style, gravy-intense wonders of vegan food, but their SUPERGRAIN SALAD is so freakin' good I have a hard time getting anything else.
Black and white quinoa, tempeh bacon crumbles, red peppers, currants, pumpkin seeds and guacamole with carrot ginger or lemon tahini dressing. (I always choose the lemon tahini.)
 
I know, right?! YUM!
This one was missing the tempeh bacon (I had one tiny little delicious morsel in the whole salad) but it's so good! In fact, I don't think the dressing is even necessary with the gaucamole, but hey, it adds a nice tang.
And their daily soups come with the most amazing sweet onion bread:
 
The only thing I keep forgetting is they don't have a Bur Mixer. A bur mixer is like a hand-held blender--restaurants commonly use them to puree their soups. I got the tortilla soup, which I expect to be smooth and creamy, but it just had big chunks of random veggies in a spicy tomato broth. I'll pass on the soup next time and just go for their bread.

7 comments:

elizabet said...

Yum. Yum. I wanna try your Mac 'n cheese! How can we fit that into the unChick'n dinner? :)

Janessa said...

Hmmm, I don't know if chick'n mac and cheese would be any good... we'll have to figure something out!

Karla said...

of course it'd be good, Janessa!! but it'd be more of a chicken casserole. which i heartily (sp??) approve of.

i'm not a big fan of their mac n cheeze though. i don't know what it was, i couldn't pick out the flavor that i didn't like. i have known a lot of people to like the Vita's though, but i prefer the Hungry Tiger's. i wish someone would make a vegan version of Montage's Pesto Mac. Yum! i'll just have to do it myself.

The Spicy Vegan said...

You linked to my blog! How cute are you?! Thank you! I have been on the hunt for good Mac and Cheese for ever! I've tried making it and fail miserably. I want yours!

Katie said...

the mac n' cheese is delicious! And the bread is even better.

Sheri said...

Yummy food porn! That salad looks AMAZING. I would NEVER have thought of putting quinoa on salad! Never! Must try that, complete with dollop of guacamole like your picture shows. Yummers :)

Janessa said...

Karla, you're crazy! No love for the Vita Mac?

Katie knows where it's at.

Sheri, guacamole as a salad dressing, or just mushed avocado, is the best! Especially if you're out to eat and aren't sure of the honey/dairy content of a dressing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails