Well, we've all heard the hype about daiya cheese, right? Soy-free. Plant based. Melts like dairy cheese. Shreds like dairy cheese. The only problem until recently was where to find it. Only available in bulk to certain companies when they first came out, now Daiya is seeping into everything. It's a good sort of insidious though, trust me.
Though I was lucky enough to try it a few months ago with the Back to Eden boys on a BBQ chick'n, fresh pineapple, red onion, and balsamic roasted potato pizza (Yeah, you read that right. HOLY YUM.), I've been wanting to try it again.
I really like The Higher Taste because they're a Portland-based vegetarian and vegan company that's been around for over 20 years. Every single sandwich or burrito I've had from them is delicious. They can be a little spendy, but they're made with whole foods and love. That's right. Love is the last ingredient on all their items. Adorable.
Lucky for me, I just found out that The Higher Taste now includes daiya cheese in their Vegan Supreme burrito. A wrap with pinto beans, green chilies, rice, and melty cheese? Yes, please!
And in case you can't see the beautiful fine print:
I microwaved it for 2 minutes, then threw it in the oven on broil for another minute or two.
Easy-peasy.
Yum, right? And here's some close-ups, cuz I know you want them:
It's true: It melts! So how is it?
Well, the burrito itself was delicious. The daiya cheese had the melty thing down for sure. Which is awesome. The taste--hmmm. I think it's about on par, maybe a little better, than Follow Your Heart cheese. But it does melt a little more, which means when it's available at more places, I'll definitely look to incorporate it in a few recipes.
You can find The Higher Taste at Fred Meyer, New Seasons, and Whole Foods. Just in case you want to get a Daiya fix in.

6 comments:
yum.
i once looked at the calorie/fat count on that vegan supreme burrito and just about fell over with shock. i'm not a big calorie/fat counter really, it doesn't always stop me from eating something, but i'm just curious.
i am curious about the Daiya cheese that the vegans keep going on about..
Really Karla? It seems crazy that it'd be so many calories. They didn't have a listing on the website. Whatever. It was pretty delicious. You should try one.
Ingredients say the burrito contains soy... but... it doesn't.
Good call, anonymous.
I bet Higher Taste forgot to change that part.
This is so good to know! I was trying to decide something quick and easy to bring to a training I am going to tonight.
Post a Comment