Do you typically celebrate Buy Nothing Day….
…. or Black Friday?
Regardless of where you fall on the spectrum of anti-consumerism activist and early-bird shopper, there’s one thing we can all agree on: getting something FREE is better than buying anything. And FREE CHOCOLATE is better than pretty much anything.
Missionary Chocolates is a local Portland, OR company that specializes in vegan, gluten-free decadence. Started by two sisters, this little operation is quickly becoming known for their quality chocolates. With flavors like meyer lemon, salted caramel, toasted coconut and espresso bean, these may be are the best truffles I have ever had.
So what does this mean for you? Well, I recently sampled them for the first time at NW Vegfest, and loved them so much I tracked them down and asked if they’d be interested at selling their concoctions at Back to Eden. Vanessa, one of the sisters and the marketing director, brought in loads of samples for us to try. Since there were some left over, she kindly agreed to let me have a box for a blog giveaway.
YUM! One lucky reader will win this box of four hand-crafted locally-made truffles.
Rules:
- Open to residents of Portland. These chocolates are so nice I don’t want to let the post office or the weather mess with them and make them anything less than delicious.
- To enter to win: Leave a comment letting me know what you’re doing with your day. I know there’s all sorts of shopping going on, there’s the anti-fur rally, and then of course there’s standing in front of the open fridge and nibbling on left-overs all day (yum). Just let me know how you spent your Buy Nothing Day/Black Friday.
- Winner will be determined by a random number generator and announced at 12 noon tomorrow (Saturday)
Good luck, and I hope you had a wonderful and filling Thanksgiving!

12 comments:
Nummy! I am going to do some crosswords, take my dog for a walk with my friend Shana, and go dancing tonight. This is assuming I don't go into a food coma from leftovers.
I am still digesting.
What an awesome giveaway! I'm sad I don't live there :) I have been thinking about making my own vegan truffles. :)
We are not shopping today - still chilling at home!
dude, Missionary Chocolates are the best!!! Vanessa had contacted me awhile back asking if i'd like to review their chocolates, which i said "Hell yes!" to, of course. she brought over 10 of them and none of them disappointed!
i will take myself out of the running since i've already gotten my fair share of their yummy chocolates! just wanted to say the winner is in for some hella goodness!
also, i worked at Paradox today and now i'm hanging out at Floyd's a little for some reading and emailing.
Today I slept in, watched some Project Runway, went for a walk with Zach and his dog Mickey at Laurelhurst Park, went to the gym for an hour, and set up dates with two boys for this weekend. Don't let Zach win, he doesn't like sweets. ;)
I don't live in Portland, but will be working there the next couple months (and hopefully moving to soon after) starting this Sunday which I am ridiculously happy about. One more place to add to the growing list of must-sees...
I shopped online Kmart and got my sis a cotton candy machine! I ate leftovers, shared them with our rat Rose, dusted the rug with diatomaceous soil to get them fleas, napped, and watched Ugly Betty. There may even be a visit to a Vegan Strip club.
I'm glad you had such a great Thanksgiving!
I love Missionary Chocolates! I spent Black Friday eating tons of leftovers and watching movies on the couch. Yes, literally all day I did this! :)
cecilialdoan@gmail.com
Spent the day with my kid (who mercifully slept in), drinking coffee and NOT SHOPPING.
I took the kitties to get their vaccines, gazed at the zoo lights on the zoo train, then went out for some grilled cheese.
woke up early to go to Old Navy at the 3am opening to get the free video game. Sold the game today and am using the money towards Indian buffet.
I'd like to enter this drawing, please!
I spent Buy Nothing Day with friends visiting from out of town. It was so splendidly sunny that we went for a stroll, I showed them some of my favorite haunts in my neighborhood, we drank a lot of tea, and ate leftovers. A friend came to visit and I gave her a giant bouquet for her birthday. I also watched three episodes of Firefly!
Post a Comment