Please update your bookmarks and RSS feeds and head to epicuriousvegan.com.
Thanks for reading!


27 October 2008

Wild Abandon, Sauvie Island, and Pumpkin Ravioli

This is what I had for dinner at Wild Abandon Restaurant the other night:

Sauteed Mushrooms with port wine, butter, and herbs. Topped with parmesan:

Spicy Italian Cavatappi--vegan Italian Sausage and Cavatappi pasta tossed in a creamy crushed tomato and roasted red pepper-chervil sauce:


Tres Leches: A moist white cake with mascarpone cream frosting and a raspberry coulis:

So, obviously, I did not eat entirely vegan. Wild Abandon has a solid menu, filling food, and good vegetarian options, but it is a little spendy for what it is. They're open for breakfast though, so I will be going back at least one more time. They also have a rockin patio out back, which I will definitely be hitting up next summer.


Yesterday, Abby and I headed out to Sauvie Island.

Sauvie Island is in North Portland, about a 15 minute drive. In the summer, it's a haven for fresh berries--come pick your own raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, even your own summer flower bouquet. In the fall, the island houses several corn mazes (they call it a corn MAIZE however. ha.), pumpkin patches, hayrides, farmer's markets... it's pretty much awesome. Yesterday was probably in the 70's, and the most beautiful autumn day. A perfect day for this kind of outing.

We drove in over the bridge and along the water.
There were still flowers in bloom out there, and the Farmer's Markets' had a a bounty of fresh fruit and veggies. I didn't know what brussel sprouts looked like in nature until yesterday. Abby and I went through a corn maze, but it turns out we went to the lame one. The weather had kind of destroyed it, there were kids everywhere, and it wasn't even a maze. They gave you map. Sheesh. We cut through and ended up in a field.






We took off and went to a different part of the island, with a better pumkin patch.

We each found a perfect pumpkin. Here is Abby with hers:

Since Abby had to be at work by 5, we bought a pumpkin carving kit and came back to my house. She went with this creepy spider pattern, and I just a did a free style face. This is how they turned out:
Today I went for a run (a baby one, but it still counts!) and I'm headed to the New Season's on Interstate to pick up some stuff. Tonight I want to make a Vegan Pumpkin Ravioli with a brown butter, sage, and hazelnut sauce.

I've never done anything like this, but I feel the need to tonight. My inspiration came from dinner at my friend Andrea's house the other night. We had a really really non-vegan home-made Ravioli with roasted pumpkin, goat cheese, pistachios and manchego cheese, with a red wine and caramelized red onion sauce and green beans. OH MY GOSH. OH MY GOSH. Delcious!

After I attempt this dinner thing, it's off to Monday Night Bingo at Liberty Glass!

2 comments:

redstrip101 said...

Pumpkin Ravioli?? Yum Yum. How did it turn out?

Janessa said...

Um, the filling turned out great, but, as a whole.... uh uh.

Will try again with the remaining filling this weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails